Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What I've Learned About Action Research

I've never really heard of action research before. In all actuality, having to come up with something to research was a tough one. I'm completely off campus and not in touch with what the needs are there. Anyways, after reading, I think that action research is going to be very beneficial to me both as a teacher and as an administrator.

I have learned that the best form of professional development is to use action research. Nobody knows what's going on in your school like you do, so why not find ways to inquire and collaborate (if need be) on ways to improve them? I strongly think that it's going to be important to set aside time on a regular basis for inquiry. If one is at a loss on where to start, then create a survey for your staff to complete. Chances are if it's an issue for them, it's an issue the whole school could be having and looking for new, innovative ways to improve one person's concern could be improving everybody's concern!

I have also learned that if you want your staff to model life long learning, you have to do it, too. Let your staff know that you are engaging in new staff development  to further enhance your administrator skills. This might encourage them to do the same in their area of knowledge.

How might I use action research? As a teacher, I look back at what I've done from year to year and think about what worked and what didn't. By doing so, I'm reflecting on my teaching and looking for new ways to improve. What could I have done better to reach that student? What can I do this time to make that assignment more clear in the future?Am I teaching too fast? I also will have students tell me what they like and don't like about my class; what they would change if given the chance; and, what they would do if they were the teacher and a class was consistently being rude and talking all the time. I like to read the responses and see where I can make changes in what I do.

As an administrator, I could use action research on looking into ways to improve school ratings or AYP standards. By gathering data and attending PLC meetings, I would be able to discuss with different core areas what their concerns are, what they need from me, how I can help, and what their plan is. From all of this information, I could find similarities, what is working well, what is not working well, and differences. For things that aren't working well for some but is for others, I could brain storm ideas and we could try them out. I think that as an administrator, the opportunities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment